2011/08/14

Shantideva's Inspirational Wish

"May I become food and drink in the eons of famine for those poverty-stricken suffers.

May I be a doctor, medicine and nurse for all sick beings in the world until everyone is cured.

May I become never-ending wish-fulfilling treasures materialising in front of each of them as all the enjoyments they need.

May I be a guide for those who do not have a guide, a leader for those who journey, a boat for those who want to cross over, and all sorts of ships, bridges, beautiful parks for those who desire them, and light for those who need light.

And may I become beds for those who need a rest, and a servant to all who need servants.

May I also become the basic conditions for all sentient beings, such as earth or even the sky, which is indestructible.

May I always be the living conditions for all sentient beings until all sentient beings are enlightened."

and

"While their evil ripens in me, may all my virtue ripen in them."

~ Shantideva, "Bodhisattvacharyavatara - Guide to the Bodhisattva Way of Life"
(8th-century CE)
Leave comment
Comment Policy: Please leave relevant comment and do not include active link!